Buttered Whole Chicken
Hi there pretty bird. Why aren’t you just lovely.
Oh. Another view. Nice. Very nice indeed.
A view from the top? I like it. I have to say, I think a browned bird is about the prettiest smoked food there is.
And one last shot, just for posterity. I love it.
Oh, did I mention that I slathered butter underneath the skin of this chicken? And stuffed it with deliciousness? And it was as juicy a smoked chicken as I’ve ever made in my life?
Yea…Butter. Bird. Juicy. Butter.
Watch my video to see how I did it.
- 1 whole chicken
For butter slather
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- dash of ground pepper
- If you have time, brine the chicken overnight.
- Carefully lift the skin of the breast and smear the butter mixture underneath.
- Optional: Stuff the cavity with onion, lemon, apples, garlic
- Rub Olive Oil on skin and sprinkle salt & pepper.
- Smoke with apple wood, indirect, at 250 until internal temperature hits 165.