5. Stuff that bird. Use whatever you like, but stuff the heck out of it. Very little flavor gets through the skin, but a TON comes through the cavity. Apples, celery, onions, lemon, thyme, rosemary….whatever you’re feeling.
4. Inject like you’re Jose Canseco with steroids. Inject all over. Everywhere. A lot. Make your own or buy a ready-made like the Bird Booster. Don’t be afraid, shoot it up.
3. Brine. If you’re going to inject, do you need to brine? No. Does it hurt to brine? No. Either way, brining is not the worst idea you’ve ever had for a turkey.
2. Cook at a slightly higher temp – around 270-290. It won’t take as long as you think. A 10lb bird might only take 3-4 hours. A 12-14lb bird, maybe 5-6 hours.
1. DON’T OVERCOOK. Repeat after me, “I will not overcook my turkey.” 175 in the thigh. Yes, that’s plenty. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes so the juices can sink in the meat. Please don’t overcook. Throw the pop up needle away and trust your Thermapen.
As an extra tip, stick with fruit wood. Pecan at most, but even just cherry & apple is plenty. Turkey will suck in that smoke and you do not want a bitter bird. Haha…bitter bird…that’s funny. I’m funny.
Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving everybody!