For those who didn’t hear on our Pitmasters BBQ Show, John Yeast came up with this hilarious and absolutely accurate list – and promises to add more in coming weeks – of signs you might be addicted to BBQ (a la Jeff Foxworthy). I’ll put an asterisk next to the ones that I have actually done/are absolutely true for me. Leave a comment below with the numbers that hit home with you!
You MIGHT be addicted to BBQ if…
10. You have ever named your smoker or grill.
9. You have more tongs and thermometers in your shed than lawn tools. *
8. Every oil drum, tool box, garbage dumpster, box car or other metal object you see is a potential smoker (with a few mods of course).
7. Own a pair of welder’s gloves, but don’t know squat about welding. *I own 3, actually.
6. Buy sauces and rubs by the case, just so you can give it away.
5. You know that a bear claw is more than just a tasty breakfast pastry. *Yep, I own a pair.
4. If you have ever tied lawn chair cushions to the side of a smoker in the dead of winter to insulate it.
3. A neighbor’s tree falls on your car and the first question you ask is, “is it fruitwood?” *I had this conversation last week with my wife.
2. Someone in the room says I’m going to go rub my meat and you don’t snicker. *Better yet, if other people snicker, I ask, “what’s so funny?”
1. You can start a fire, mix a rub, apply it to 2 butts, a brisket and 4 slabs of ribs – carry them to the smoker, open the door, load it up, add a couple wood chunks and never set down your beer! *Of course.
I love it. Thank you, John!